Proverbs 3:1-6; “My son, forget not my law; But let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: Bind them about thy neck; Write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
In verses 1-4, we see a father telling his son to pay attention, and in verses 5-6 we see verses about trusting the Lord.
As Christians we need to not only say we trust God but do it. Are we truly trusting the Lord today in and with all we have and letting him have full control of our lives? Think about these four examples below and how they trusted God even through difficult times.
– Joseph: Years of doing right and seemingly punished for it, but God rewarded in His time.
– Samuel: Given to God without being asked and became a great man of God.
– Naman’s handmaid: Witness for the man of God as a slave and helped save her master through her testimony.
– Daniel: Just like Joseph but never seemed unhappy where God had him and never stopped being a witness.
If we are to truly trust God, we can see from this passage that we have to confide in Him completely, commit to Him without reservation, and confess to Him – He is the one!
I. Confide (v5)
A. Tell Him all and then trust Him with it.
B. Trust: Assured reliance on the character, ability, strength or truth of someone or something; one in which confidence is placed
– With confidence comes contentment, and we will be happy in Christ
– Who or what do we really trust in?
– If we trust in Him we have complete faith in Him (Ps 37:1-9)
C. It is hard not to have a backup plan but God needs to be the only plan
– use common since too at the same time
– We have to get to the point where it is not us, and we realize it; but it is God, and we realize it (Jer. 9:23-24)
II. Commit (v5)
A. We have to totally give ourselves to Him and His will and look for Him in every step
– We get leading through His word (Ps 119:105)
– We get leading through preaching (Ps 43:3)
– We get leading through situations in life – Obvious open or closed door, death, person’s attitude
B. Our emotions can get in the way so we need to be in constant prayer for direction – (Ps 139:23-24)
III. Confess (v6)
A. We must confess and convey to him that we know it is Him and Him alone that we need to guide us (Ps. 31:1-5)
B. We need to make sure that the confess is not a concede in the fact that we do it reluctantly.
– Our lives and everything in it need to be given to Him and trust him to do right because after all…He is God and if we are saved, all we have is Him anyway.
The author Abraham Kuyper stated; “In the total expanse of human life there is not a single square inch of which the Christ who alone is sovereign does not declare …That is mine.” Why do we not trust God sometimes and why do we put ourselves through so much self inflicted trouble when He is right there waiting to take care of things and keep us safe. Confiding in Him completely, committing to Him without reservation, and confessing to Him – He is the one. Let Him know and show Him we truly trust Him.