The goal of every home, youth group, and Christian school should be to produce mature, God – focused young people. This is a difficult task to measure, and sometimes it takes years to see the results. There is a lesson from Ephesians 4 that may help us aim our youth in the right direction.
- Eph. 4:12 “…for the perfecting of the saints…” This passage is written to the saints (saved).
- Eph. 4: 14 “…be no more children, tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine…” we are to have a working knowledge of the word of God (stable in the Word).
- Eph. 4:15 “…may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ…” Spiritual growth is accomplished by giving in to the work of the Holy Spirit (submitting).
- Eph. 4:16 “…unto the edifying of itself in love.” To edify means to build up or encourage. We must witness to unbelievers and believers alike. Unbelievers need salvation through Christ, and believers need to be encouraged in the Lord (sharing).
- Eph. 4:17 – 32 “… walk not as other Gentiles walk…” “…even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” Paul encourages us to be different (separated). Oh, but wait! We can’t stop there. We must be separated from sin and separated to God.
So, are you a five star Christian? Saved, Stable in the Word, Submitting, Sharing, and Separated. If not, what do you need God to work on? If you are, are you helping to aim another toward the mark of becoming a mature, God – focused Christian?