When we think about Christ and all the things He did as a man, but always God, being a servant comes out on top for me; and we see it no greater than in John 13:12-15 when he washed the apostles feet and gave them this great example of service.
John 13:12-15; “So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.”
The greatest thing is He was not just talking and showing the apostles how to serve but us today also. There is not anything written in God’s Word that is out of date and non-relevant to us Christians today in the 21st century. As Christians today we are to be like our master, a servant to all, and in the process shine the light on Him. When we look at ourselves, how much do we really serve for Him as opposed to doing things out of obligation or maybe that we know we will be seen? Also are we serving those who are not our family and friends or just those who are close to us. Let’s look at these four verses and see how we can be better servants.
I. Serve when we are busy
– Christ had just finished the last supper and on his way to the cross but stopped to be a testimony one more time.
– We never know who is watching and what people pick-up about us but people notice a good deed done when it doesn’t have to be done.
– Not for pats on the back but because it is right
– Neh. 2:1-5; Nehemiah had a job but left to help his people
II. Serve when it is a bother
– It wasn’t convenient to do what He did, but He did it to leave an example of how we are to treat others
– Luke 10; Good Samaritan
III. Serve to shine
– Not for ourselves but to point others to Him
– Matt 5:14-16, We are the light! Some people may never see the gospel and Christ’s love if not for us.
So hopefully through these words written by God about His Son, we too can strive to be the servants God would have us to be as Christians so that all may come to know Him!